BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why do you/ don't you want to be a journalist. Consider people who have directly influenced you strongly in arriving at this decision.

My dream has always to become a lawyer, theatre actress or radio/TV personality. When I reached grade 12 and informed my parents of my ambitions and high hopes, they promptly informed me that these- especially the acting- were merely a far-fetched dream despite the drama awards I had received, my outstanding speaking voice and the fact that I was the chairperson of our school's debating team for 2 years in a row. I then decided that when I go to varsity, I want to venture into a career path that will please my parents, but not leave me miserable. So I am part of the JMS team because my intention is to become a media lawyer. This career path incorporates all my loves and it will please my parents because it will add me to the list of people eligible to get "stable" jobs. So I will not become a journalist and my reason is as stated above.

This dream has been inspired by Dali Mpofu who is the CEO of SABC. His job is such that he is hands on in the legal concerns of the company, while he is also part of the team of creative minds behind the SABC and he gives the final nod on anything which takes place at the SABC. With the knowledge I will acquire on the media and on law, I believe I can be as good or even better at his job or even a better one. Media lawyers- good ones- are few and far between and highly sought after by many media houses, not just in SA but elsewhere and I am convinced that this is an environment that will make me comfortable, satisfied and happy, yet leave me room to grow. The best part is that I will be able to get involved in TV, radio, other forms of media and law and these are my passions.

0 comments: